Saturday, June 19, 2010

Maternity pants

Around my 3rd month the belly band over my unbuttoned jeans was no longer cutting it and I realized it was time to buy some maternity pants. My pre-pregnancy wardrobe consisted mostly of jeans and t-shirts. So it was only natural for me to buy maternity jeans. I don't really like how the panel maternity jeans look and found 2 pair of "under belly" jeans. Although they do have an elastic waistband, it is hidden inside the same material as the rest of the pants so it doesn't scream maternity pants like some others. These 2 pairs of pants have become major staples in my wardrobe. As summer approaches it has be getting warmer outside, and shorts are just not flattering on my thighs, so I decided to look for some capris. I found a great deal one day at Ross on a pair of khaki capris, or so I thought. They fit great, but after the first time through the washer/dryer the waistband (which is covered in a stretchy knit material) had gotten so twisted around itself that I spent a good half an hour getting it back to its original shape. And worse yet, after wearing for an afternoon I found the waistband kept folding down and required constant adjusting to not expose my belly. Had these been my first pair of maternity pants I may have thought that all under belly pants would be this way. I certainly appreciate my well made jeans more now. I am hoping that I can sew the elastic in place so that it doesn't get so twisted in the wash but I doubt it will help with the folding down problem, which I will have to solve by wearing my belly band again. You would think by now the makers of maternity pants would have all of this figured out by now and use the right materials!

5 comments:

lanni @ dandygiveaway.blogspot.com said...

hi from the your newest follower from the bloghop -- great blog :)

www.dandygiveaway.blogspot.com

Candice said...

Hi I'm following you from BOBT, thanks for visiting Fashionably Organized.

Jessica Warrick said...

following you back

Unknown said...

You had the same idea I did to sew the elastic down. That's what I do with the pants & skirts I sew. But will that affect the stretchiness so it's uncomfortable and still make the pants unusable?

Things that make you say.... Hmmmm?

little t and me said...

Tina- It has been working great for me so far. I only tacked the elastic down in about 8 places (4 on front and 4 on back) and I don't find that it effects the stretchiness at all. They are good as new!